NEW YORK – A federal judge has ruled that the Department of Homeland Security has said it has tried to ban New York state travel programs.
The Trump administration has excluded New York from global entry and other accelerated border crossing programs earlier this year under a state law that allows illegal immigrants to obtain driver’s licenses.
Last week, however, the federation withdrew and allowed New York to return to the program. DHS officials have made false statements in court documents in an effort to enforce the ban that New York has sued.
On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman called the confessions a “deeply disturbing revelation.”
The Trump administration said that New York, unlike any other state, restricted immigration authorities’ access to motor vehicle records. In fact, they later admitted that some other states had the same restrictions, but never encountered attempts to block them in travel programs.
Furman noted that the court “has the power to conduct an independent investigation to determine whether he has been the victim of fraud.”
According to statements from the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Justice last week, “as they suggest, completely” correct the record “, as it apparently gives only a few examples of inaccurate and misleading statements and does not even aim to provide an exhaustive list. . “
The judge demanded that the federal government submit a “comprehensive record of all and all” inaccurate “or” misleading “statements by August 12.
The report must detail any inaccurate statements, identify who made the statement and who was responsible for its content, summarize what the prosecutors did to verify the accuracy of the statements before they were brought to court, and explain how the officials learned of the fraud.
“The person or persons responsible for the content of the report should be prepared to testify as it has been drawn up if the Court of Justice decides that it is appropriate,” Furman wrote.
Josh Gerstein contributed to this report.